Friday, January 27, 2012

GO GO GADGET...DADDY?!?!


That’s right, I said, it. Go go gadget daddy!!!

The ying to my yang, Michelle Knudson, and I are expecting a little shutter bug in the end of May, beginning of June. Expectant date is May 26th, 2012 but we all know that when it’s done, it’ll come out on its own.

We had our first ultrasound on Thursday, October 27th and all I have to say is, I now know what it’s like to experience such a miraculous event of creating a child that every proud soon-to-be and newly made parents go through with their first child.  I’ve had friends and family tell me how cool and amazing it is, but I always just blew it off and thought, “yea…so? It’s just a baby. What did you expect to see or hear? A million bucks?” But you’re not “just” looking at/hearing the baby’s heart beat, you’re seeing life. You’re seeing something transform from two microorganisms to a blob of goo to a fully developed human being. It really is an amazing thing to witness with your own eyes.

I started getting very nervous that I wasn’t gonna be able to hear our child’s heart beat or even seeing the kiddo on the ultrasound because of the “McCamish Curse.” (Basically if it can go wrong, it’ll happen to me.) And with me and Michelle living 2 hours apart and winter coming right around the corner, I did NOT want to miss the two most important things of our first child together. Luckily, the force was strong with me that day. The doctor came in after having blood drawn and all the health questions were answered to get a sound of the babies heart beat. I got even more nervous when all I heard was the sound of a microphone being handed off to another speaker at a Star Trek convention. Then…I heard it…it was Michelle’s heart beat…not the baby’s. @#$*!!!! All of the sudden, I heard these rapid beating sounds as if an over excited cat had finally realized that running around was no longer a healthy option, and the doctor said, “there it is!” I just sat there, frozen, numb, speechless and didn’t know what to think. The unthinkable happened when it finally it hit me that my baby was alive and actually there…I got teary eyed. There I said it! I just about bawled like a blubbering idiot with a beer for my tears in my hand!  Oh well…besides, tough guys wear pink right? But I cannot express at how happy and excited I was to hear this little bundle of joy’s heart beat. It really makes you think about how you were developed in the same way, at the same time frame as a fetus yourself, and what you’re parents were thinking at the same event you are at now.

Me and Michelle couldn’t help but to hold each other’s hand, smile and say “I love you.”

When it came to the ultrasound, it was more like a waiting game. We sat in the waiting room for a good HOUR before our 5 minute ultrasound. I’m not lying to you guys but Michelle was doing her pee-dance and almost exploded from all the water she had to drink. Ok, so I might be fibbing a little, but it makes for a good sense of  emotional presence for you guys. Anyway, Michelle lays down to have  the radiologist find the baby. She found it fairly quick and I started smiling from one edge of the earth to another. The baby started wiggling its little arms, legs and head and I just wanted to go, “oooooohhhhhh! So CUTE!” I mean, *ahem* it was cool to see. Michelle’s eyes lit up too, but mainly after she was able to go pee.

Once we saw the little kiddo moving around in there and just being able to actually SEE our child, we got even more excited about being parents. But I think Michelle was more excited to get food in her stomach after we left the hospital.

Final Thoughts
It’s amazing to see such a miraculous event unfolding in front of your eyes one week at a time. Having this exciting and memorable chapter in my life be written out as it happens is a strong motivation to excel my career, my life and my learning experiences. I don’t see how any of these dead beat parents could abandon or abuse such a beautiful and precious thing that’s in their lives. I know me and Michelle will never do anything to harm our child and will do our best to give our child the life it deserves. I’m beyond excited for this new chapter in my life. Though, for anyone who knows me and my personality, when we found out that we were gonna have a child together, these four questions came to mind, which all are a joke FYI:

1. I’ll send ya the check
2. How do I know it’s mine and not your’s?
3. How did this happen?
4. Air mattresses are evil!




Cheers and Allons-y,
Ryon McCamish

No comments:

Post a Comment