Monday, January 30, 2012

12 Project - January- "Cold Day"

There's a new trend going around the internet with photographers and people alike.  It's literally just called "Project."  How it works is that you photograph something in your life, something you want to do, places you've gone, etc., etc., and share it with the world.  But you decide the length and/or duration your Project.  You can do a 365 day, 52 week, 12 month, 30 day...whatever you decide.  The only rule you have to follow is that you STICK TO IT.  If you do a 365 Project, you have to document and share your Project everyday for the whole year.

I present to you, my 12 Project.

I had originally heard about this a few years back and thought, "That's kind of cool!"  Well what got me inspired was other photographers on Facebook told the world what they were going to do and have followed through with it.  I originally had no idea what my Project was going to be about.  The things I love?  Ummm...I would never complete it.  What about showing the beauty and awesomeness of our planet?  Not in this economy!  Perhaps photograph the state parks in my native land and write a book about them?  Mi righting N gramer skellz ain't up 2 PaR.  Then, like a lightning bolt from the sky, came the light bulb.

A photographer by the name of Michele Whitacre (Facebook, Website and Blog) out of Phoenix, AZ asked her followers what she should do.  They gave her their ideas and she thanked them politely and went about her day.  Her mother had a good one: "Opposites. Pretty plant vs ugly plant. Someone lounging vs someone exercising, young vs old, modern vs antique, hot vs cold, playing vs working, china vs paper plates etc etc..."  This was a FANTASTIC idea!  So I stole the idea (sorry Michele and mother), but I wanted to put my own twist on it.  Instead of doing literally the COMPLETE opposite of a subject, I wanted to add in an emotion or event, with non-corresponding photos, and with a little bit of poetry.  Now this is where it's going to get confusing people, so listen up.


My Project will consist of two photos, each having their own title and their own poem.  Both photos and poems will be merged into ONE photo to convey one title and one poem.


Whew!  I know, I know...it's a complicated process.  But the reason I wanted to do this is because I feel that we as a society have become too closed minded and we need to view topics with an open mind.  The photos may or may not coincide with their respective title, but I think you'll get the gist of it when you see it.



There we have it folks.  My first photo of my 12 Project.  I left everything as open as I could so that your mind could make it's own decision.  There is no right or wrong opinion, just your own.  I'm curious to know, what's this mean to you?  Someone in prison who is longing to get out?  Perhaps it's an emotion that you're facing now.  Or could it be that you're at a crossroads in your life and hoping to choose the right path?  You decide.  Comment below.  I'd love to hear what you have to say.









Cheers and Allons-y,
Ryon McCamish

5 comments:

  1. First, I'm glad you found some inspiration from my followers and thanks for the shout out and link love. :) Second, I can't look at those photos without breaking out in goose bumps. Burrrr! I spent too many years living in the midwest, and remember exactly what those cold temps feel like. Third, the contrast between the images is awesome; They are perfect opposites. I don't see the fence as locking in, but as locking out - with the way you composed the Cold image with the fence right there in the foreground, while the Day image is completely open and invites you in - with the composition including so much open space in the foreground. The black and white vs color, also add to the perfectness of the opposites. Great job!! As for what it says to me, I can't get past the goose bumps, so it says I'm really glad I moved to Phoenix! Which honestly, is a reminder I needed because it hasn't been the smoothest sailing since I got here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. And it was actually really nice today. The temp got up to 44 degrees today. And they're talking temps like that all week! Good-bye snow and hello muck! And I'm sorry to hear that the move hasn't been the smoothest. I'm going through a tough time too right now so I can feel your pain. Just keep your head up high. I see every bump in the road as an opprotunity to change course in the path that will lead you to the future you want. Stay optimistic girl.

      Delete
  2. Nice and 44 degrees do NOT go together! Ut was 75 here today, that's bordering on nice. :) Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time, too. Just keep looking toward the future. It has to get better eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is Mother. Thrilled to hear that my idea was a catalyst for your 12 month project. I love your first set of pictures. I don't know how to enlarge them so I can read your poetry so that is disappointing for me. But, I love the contrast of the openness with the sun peaking out vs the cold bleak shut in caged picture. I see it as hope vs despair.
    I'm hooked now and you have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH, finally got to see the poetry! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete